If a storm has caused damage to your home, your immediate goal should be to restore the safety of your home. Of course, you also need to begin immediately filing an insurance claim with your homeowner’s insurance provider.
The following are eight steps to recovering from a storm and filing a claim:
- Assess the damage- Reestablishing the security of your home is the most important task to concentrate on right after a storm. Look out for structural problems that could cause accidents. Also, secure holes in your roof, windows, walls, or other home components-
- Review your policy- Before you first contact your insurance company, you should re-familiarize yourself with policy details and determine if you should be eligible for compensation.
- Call your insurance company- You should let your insurance company know what has happened as soon as possible. Ideally, they will immediately approve your claim and get to work on funding repairs.
- Take photographs- Photographs serve as proof of the extent of storm damage to your home.
- Collect some news coverage of the storm that caused the damage- By having news coverage of the storm, you’ll have proof of the weather event that caused damage to your home.
- Save receipts when you have work done- If you have to pay for repairs out of pocket immediately after the storm, save the receipts so that you can be reimbursed for the expenses at a later date.
- Meet with your adjuster- Any type of insurance claim typically requires a meeting with an adjuster during which the adjuster inspects, records, and verifies the damage .
- Wait for your insurance payments- Insurance companies will typically send out payment for storm damage repairs in two payments. The first payment may be a materials deposit that allows you to pay for necessary construction materials that contractors need to begin work. Then, a later payment will cover the additional expenses.
If your property has suffered from any storm damage or water damage, contact the experts at ICON Restoration today. From building contractors to property restoration contractors, we have a team ready to handle any situation. Contact us today!